Saturday, January 3, 2015

Happy New Year

I know I am a little late but Happy New Year, y'all!

I have been sick, so my NYE was spent sleeping. NYD was much the same. I am almost sort of starting to feel better now. The cold meds may have something to do with that though because when I first woke up, oh it was ugly.

I have been trying to find internet service in my area and it is proving difficult. It seems everyone wants to sell you "money saving" bundles of TV, phone, and internet. All I want is internet. I don't watch too much TV and most of what I want to watch I can watch online once I have internet again anyway. Having cable is redundant. (Though I do miss my NHL.... sigh.) I have no need for phone service, I have my cell phone thankyouverymuch. But it seems like it is an all or nothing deal with the service providers in my area, and the problem is I cannot afford "all". And this getting by with only having my phone for internet has gotten old. Why doesn't anybody offer just {fast} internet at a reasonable price? Ugh.

2014 was a rough year in a lot of ways. Mostly, my dad's health has been a huge concern. He still has some stuff that needs dealt with. I am grateful that despite it's reputation otherwise, our local hospital is pretty amazing. The staff is incredible, for the most part. All the hours spent there over the year, only one person struck me as kind of rude but I am willing to say maybe she was just having a bad day. Both of dad's stays he was on the same floor. On his second stay, which was after a trip to the ER (first time around was after scheduled surgery) as he was being wheeled out of the elevator the nurses at the front desk recognized him. If that is not a sign of some terrific hospital staff, then I don't know what is. After both his hospital stays, the nurses and doctors who took care of him sent him cards in the mail. He will be back again this year, as I said there is still some stuff that needs dealt with. It worries me and I know when the time comes I will be a wreck but it helps (even if only slightly) being able to have confidence in the people who will be taking care of him. All his health troubles are worrisome to me, though. The ultimate must do on my own "bucket list" is to take him to the beach. My dad has done a lot of traveling in his life, but he has never seen the ocean. I desparatly want to give him that experience. It is one I have had, and it is amazing. I really, really want to be able to give my dad that experience. Sooner rather than later. I don't know how I will make it happen, I just know that it is something I have to do. I will never be able to forgive myself if I don't give him that.

Anyway. Onto beauty related news, this is likely to be another year of few purchases and stash shopping. I am going to attempt to clear out my stash again soon to get rid of some stuff and maybe make room for one or two new things I have been wanting, but I am not sure yet. I cleared out my stash of a LOT of products not too long ago. I basically am down to stuff that I really use and some stuff that every time I try to get rid of it I think "But it's SO pretty! I really should use it more!" But then of course.... I don't use it more. It just sits there,begging to be used... and for whatever reason, I don't use it. My ultimate someday goal is to have all my makeup fit into just one train case. (Ha! Hey let me dream.) It is currently in two train cases plus some more stuff that doesn't fit is kept on my dresser. Yes, while other women are dreaming of increasing their makeup stash, I am trying to minimize mine. I never said I am not weird. In all seriousness it is simply that my style has changed, my priorities are different now, and much as I do still love makeup... I have become a makeup minimalist in terms of what I wear. On special occasions I do still wear bolder, more fun looks. But for day to day, I either wear super basic "no makeup" makeup, or I don't wear makeup at all. Makeup does have a shelf life, so if I am not using it, why keep it? You know?

As you can imagine, my makeup wearing and buying habits of late make it kind of difficult to run a beauty blog. Y'all want swatches and reviews of the latest products... and believe me I want to provide them for you. Whether you use it a lot or not, playing with new products is always fun! But I don't have the budget for it. With my less is more approach to what I wear as well as the limited budget, I am very selective about what I buy these days. Just because it is new and everyone wants it, does not mean it fits with my preferences. If it is not something I really feel I will use a lot, I can't justify the purchase. And since most days I just do not wear makeup or I do barely there looks, doing E/FOTD posts would be terribly boring. I considered perhaps making this a multi-author blog so that it can consistently have fresh new content. However, the last time I tried that it did not work out very well. (One of my girls posted once, and then both girls simply vanished on me completely.) It is still a thought, if y'all would like such an approach and if I could find a couple reliable ladies to join me in authoring here. But at least for this very moment that is not the route I plan to take.

So, I am really not too sure where this leaves things for 2015. I will try to update as often as I can, because I do love having this blog and connecting with y'all here. If you have any ideas or suggestions for things you would like to see posted here, I am all ears! 
comments powered by Disqus