Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Review: Valentia Even Glow Serum


Y'all know that I have been meaning to change up my skin care routine lately. After my last birthday in December it was like nature flipped a switch on my skin and deemed me too old for my old stand-by products to continue to work well for me as they had for years prior. I'm finally going to admit it - scary as it is for me to do so - I am now... thirty. Don't give me that look - turning thirty was a huge deal for me and not in a good way. But mostly in personal aspects so we won't get into it here.

Turning thirty also meant changes in my skin, and a need to revamp my skin care routine. When I was younger my skin was what one would consider "normal" - no problems with oiliness or dry skin. Just perfect, soft, glowy skin. In the past year or so it was tending more on the dry side. And that above mentioned birthday after which a switch seems to have flipped? Unbearably dry skin emerged. Granted it was winter but in the past even the cold, dry winter air had very little effect on my skin.

I still have a lot of reading up to do on various products to add to my routine to replace my old favorites that just don't do the job for me anymore. The first thing that I've tried to see if it has a place in my routine is this Valentia Even Glow Serum. It is a 20% Vitamin C antioxidant treatment that can be used daily.


Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
Product claims:

Evens skin tone
Increases glow & radiance
Absorbs rapidly
Reduces wrinkles & fine lines
Boosts collagen production

I've been using this every day for about 3 weeks now. The instructions say to apply to clean, dry skin before moisturizer. It can be used in the morning or at night, or both. I've been using it just in the mornings. Here is what I think of the product claims vs. the results I have seen so far, point by point:

Evens skin tone:

Increases glow & radiance: I did not expect immediate results in any aspect, so I was surprised to notice an immediate difference here! Several hours after application, I was looking into a mirror (for a totally unrelated reason) and noticed that my skin had a healthy flush and a nice dewy glow.

Absorbs rapidly: This is another point where the results absolutely match the product claims. The serum is lightweight and sinks in within a couple of minutes. There is no sticky or oily residue left behind after application. My skin simply feels soft and hydrated.

Reduces wrinkles & fine lines: Thankfully at this point in time, I only have a small number of very fine lines around my eyes to worry about. This means, however, that I can't tell you how much this product will help if you have more noticeable lines and wrinkles that you are hoping to minimize. I've always been a firm believer in "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." though, and being thirty now the idea of prevention is very, very appealing to me. After a steady month of using the Even Glow serum,

Boosts collagen production: I think this one is tied very much to the above, and I think that whether or not this statement is true is best evaluated by the combined results as noted above for each point. Collagen is a necessary protein for our bodies and as we age, collagen production slows down. Less collagen leads to thinner skin, stiff joints etc. If you need to know more about exactly what collagen is and why it is so important for our bodies both inside and out, there's a good article you can read by clicking here. I think that when looking at the results from the above points as a whole - skin having a healthy glow, a more even skin tone, reduction in fine lines - that it's probably safe to say that this does aid in collagen production. It would be difficult to pinpoint exactly how much it helps, but the overall results seem to say, even if only by a small degree, the benefits are there.

Other noteworthy thoughts:

Because there is no residue left on the skin after application, I've taken to massaging any extra product into my nails and hands. Vitamin C is known to help strengthen nails and can help prevent hang nails; the serum also contains Vitamin E which helps promote healthy blood circulation and that can help your nails grow. The antioxidant properties of the serum all add up to something that is beneficial not just for your skin but your nails as well. I figured that being the case, massaging in any extra product on my hands and nails wouldn't be a bad thing.

The serum has a light citrus fragrance. Citrus is not among my favorite fragrances, I can't lie. But I expected it to have a citrus fragrance, being a Vitamin C serum. That said while citrus is not one of my favorite fragrances, this one is not overpowering and it seems to dissipate pretty quickly after application. So I can live with it.



A little goes a long way. I used about 6-8 drops when applying, and it's sufficient.

Within the first week of using it, I noticed my skin becoming smoother and blemishes were healing faster.

Price point & Where to buy: This can be purchased online from Amazon. Here is the link to go directly to the product: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b00hjd8nly

The list price on Amazon is $85 but it is currently $35. While it really does deliver results, I have to say I honestly would not ever pay $80 for it. I think the current sale price of $35 is far more reasonable, and I would buy it at that price.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.


  The product(s) featured in this post were provided to me for review. All opinions are my own based on my experience using the product(s).

comments powered by Disqus