Monday, January 20, 2014

Q&A - Answers!

Well... I managed once again to talk myself out of making a video. I'm chicken about putting myself out there like that, what can I say?

But I did promise answers to your questions, whether in a video or a blog post.

In no particular order, here we go:


What are some of your favorite shades?
I am a girly girl, and a huge fan of pinks and purples. When I was a kid, my mom tried desperately to incorporate other colors into my wardrobe, but I pretty much refused to wear anything if it wasn't pink. I've since learned to embrace other colors, of course, but the pink remains a staple. I also like warm golds, silvery whites, and deep jewel-tones.

Favorite style of nail art?
I really like under-stated looks a lot - basic french manicures with simple embellishments, like a pretty scrolled design or a flower for example, on just one or two accent nails. I really like the basic principal of a french manicure, and like to do a lot of what I call "funky french" manicures, with different colors like red with silver tips or hot pink with black tips etc. I know some people are totally over gradient nails by now, but that's another one that I can't get enough of!

Best manicure tip?
I think my best manicure tip is something super basic: do your nails on a nice, sturdy surface with plenty of room for all your supplies - and put some scrap paper down to protect the surface from any spills. I know so many ladies who do their nails while sitting on the couch or their bed, and while that might be comfy, in my opinion sitting at a table is better. I like to have room in front of me to have everything I need on hand and ready to go, and I find that being able to rest my hands on the table helps me keep the movements steady for a cleaner application. This is especially important when you're doing nail art, so you can keep your lines smooth and straight. And the scrap paper really is a must. I'm a clumsy person and things tend to slip out of my hands as if on their own or by some unseen force, and by putting scrap paper down on the table before I get started, I've been able to avoid quite a few messes!

How did you get into nails?
I honestly have no idea! I've always liked makeup and nail polish. One of my earliest memories is my sister doing my hair, nails, and makeup for me when I was maybe 4 years old, and I just loved it! I'd bug her all the time to do it, and when she was away at school I'd sneak in to her room (always leaving behind the very obvious signs I'd been there, as it's not in a 4 year old's repertoire to be truly stealthy with such things!) and get into her stuff. It's just an interest that's always been there, for as long as I can remember.

What other hobbies do you have?
I read. A lot. I love photography. Enough that I spent well over a decade attempting to make a career of it, but for reasons I'll not get into (because then we'd be here all day while I rant away about things!) it never worked out, and I walked away from the dream of a photography career with a stack of rejection letters from various publishers and a significant amount of bitterness in my heart. I still adore it as a hobby, I sell prints when someone is interested, and every now and then provide my services to friends and family for special occasions. But there's no more effort in making a career of it. I also love all sorts of general crafts - I dabble in jewelry making every so often, used to make my own candles (and really want to get back into doing that), I knit and crochet... I go nuts in craft stores. I only wish I had the budget to support my obsession with making pretty things! I walk into a craft store and my mind goes into over-drive with all the things I could do with the various supplies available!

What items are always in your purse?
Besides the basic essentials that I think we all carry with us (cell phone, wallet/checkbook, and keys), I always have: lip balm, an emery board, tweezers, a mirror, hand sanitizer, tissues, band-aids, neosporin, orajel, Aleve, (yeah my purse is basically a minor needs first aid kit lol), and a big can of pepper spray.

Do you have any pets?
I have two cats, Dusk and Sydney, and one dog, Rascal.

What do you do for a living?
I am mostly a home-maker, and I unfortunately don't have a steady source of income.

What is your dream job?
My dream is to have my own line of cosmetics, or at least my own line of nail polish if not a full cosmetics line. But, one has to spend money to make money, and it takes a lot of money to start a business. When you have no money/very, very little money coming in in the first place... it kind of makes it difficult/impossible to get started. I did make some of my own polish for a while and attempted to sell it but things did not work out and my limited budget equaled very limited supplies that ran out quickly, and I have not yet had the opportunity to give it another shot since. Hopefully some day...

Where are you from?
I'm a southern-at-heart Pittsburgh native currently living in (and LOVING!) central North Carolina. My time in North Carolina is temporary (for now, anyway... things can change...) however I would absolutely love it to make it my permanent home! Not that I don't love Pittsburgh - I will forever "bleed black and gold" when it comes to sports - but this area feels much more like home to me than Pittsburgh ever did.

Are you close to your family?
I am super close to certain members of my family, and I tolerate some. I am estranged from other family members, though. It sucks but it is what it is. As a whole, though; I have to say no, I'm not close to my family. I'd like to be, but... not really much I can do about it.

What are some of your go-to hair styles?
I wear my hair in messy buns a lot, because it's fast and easy. Buns in general are a go-to, whether (intentionally) messy or not. I also braid it a lot; regular 3 strand braids, french braids, dutch braids, fishtail braids, waterfall braids, mermaid braids etc. My hair is long (about hip length) and thick, and has lots of heavy layering, so pretty much everything ends up being messy - the shorter layers poke out of the braids and buns like crazy. I'm starting to contemplate my next cut, as I'd like to get rid of the layers so the styles can be neater; I love layers but past a certain length they don't really have any effect on the hair anymore, besides making many styles messy from the ends of the shorter layers sticking out all over the place! But, I love the length too; so I am putting it off for now. I'll probably do a couple smaller cuts over the next year to slowly work out the layers, rather than doing one big cut to get rid of all the layers at once. The length of the shortest layers is still quite a bit shorter than I want my hair to be right now. Thankfully my hair grows quickly, so it won't take too terribly long for it to be the length I want it and get rid of the now unwanted layers.

What are your new year's resolutions?
I don't make new year's resolutions. I know myself well enough to know I won't keep them. lol I do kind of have some this year though. I found this cute "creative bucket list" on a blog I read, and decided I would put it to use. It's a free printable; you can check it out by clicking here to go to the source blog. I opened up the file in my photo editor and added my items to the list that way, so that I could keep the color scheme going with it. I've even already managed to check one thing off the list, and very soon will be checking off a second and third item! (Yay me! haha)

Here is my list, because I know some of you are going to be curious:


You'll notice that the "DIY Home Improvement Projects" section truly just has more crafty stuff. That is because our house is basically one giant DIY home improvement project! It had been vacant for quite some time before roomie purchased it, and it was in pretty bad shape. So, all the walls were torn down, all the flooring pulled up, we totally gutted the place. (Mostly roomie; by the time I got here to help there were only two rooms left with the old walls remaining, and only one room and the hall in which to remove the old flooring.) It's taking us longer to get stuff done than anticipated. A lot longer. But, we're getting there, even if very slowly. There's a huge to do list of "home improvement projects" that, whenever we have the opportunity, we tackle. There has been demo work (tearing down walls is only fun for about the first thirty seconds. It gets old, tiring, and absolutely disgusting in a hurry. Just FYI.), plumbing disasters, roof repair etc. I decided since that list already exists and is so extensive, under that section of the creative bucket list I would just put some crafty projects I can work on to make things to make the house more of a home. You know. Once all this craziness is finally done and it's really ready to be a home. That still counts as home improvement, in my opinion!  =)

Oh, and that top secret cupcake recipe mentioned in the "I started it. I finally want to finish it." section? The cupcake recipe itself has been not only created but absolutely perfected. Several months ago, actually. I just need to get the icing to go with it figured out. I already know the flavor I want for the icing, I've just had some serious issues in making it. I'll get it figured out though, eventually.




That's it for this Q&A session! I hope you guys enjoyed it, I know I did. Perhaps we will do it again later in the year. =)




Follow my blog with Bloglovin
comments powered by Disqus