Friday, March 8, 2013

Favorite Things Friday


With warmer weather on the way in my neck of the woods (I hope anyway, I am so tired of the cold!) it's time to start thinking about the clothes that are suited to the warmer temperatures. And a topic most of us probably don't really want to talk about: sweating!

If you're lucky this is only an issue in warmer weather. If you're like me though it is a year-round problem. I sweat a lot. Even in the winter months, I sweat. Even when I don't feel hot. I can be shivering with cold, and I can sweat right through a sweater or sweatshirt. Gross I know, but I also know I'm not alone and there are a lot of you who share my problem. So even though it's a little embarrassing  I'm posting about it because maybe someone will see this post and it will help them out.

I went to my doctor about my excessive sweating and he prescribed a really strong anti-perspirant. The only problem with it was that it irritated my sensitive skin very badly. I will spare the details of that but suffice it to say that while it helped with the sweating, the side-effects just were not worth it.

Since the prescription was too strong my doctor told me about an over-the-counter option. Same thing, but not as strong and possibly something that would work while not having to suffer the awful side effects. That product is called Certain Dri.


I've now been using this product for several years and it remains effective. The kind I use is a roll-on liquid but it's also sold in a solid formula for sensitive skin. I'd like to try to solid but I can't find it in my area. You apply Certain Dri at night before you go to bed, and it helps control excessive sweating for about 3 days.

Of course there are more products labeled as "clinical strength" on the market these days than there used to be. Dove and Secret for example both have "clinical strength" anti-perspirants. I've tried them both, and while they are nice I prefer Certain Dri and it seems to work much better for me. One bottle lasts a long time, since you only have to use it a couple times a week.

A couple things to note: do not use this right after shaving. Give it 24 hours - otherwise it can burn and/or make your skin itchy. Also, let it dry completely before you get dressed after applying it or just put on a shirt you don't really care about because it can cause discoloration to your clothes. Trust me, I ruined a couple tees and tank tops with this stuff.

There are a couple other medical notes on the package you should be sure to read before buying/using this product. If you have any questions speak to your doctor to be sure it's ok for you to use it. I'm not a medical professional so all my comments on this product are purely from a consumer's perspective.





comments powered by Disqus