Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Beyond The Zone Color Jamz

As y'all know, I don't normally do anything with my hair as far as chemical treatments go. As a natural redhead, I adore my natural hair color and while it might be a little vain of me, I'm quite proud of my hair and I make every effort to take good care of it and keep it healthy.

However there is one thing I always wanted to do with my hair. I always talked myself out of it for a number of reasons. I've always wanted some chunky, colorful streaks in my hair. I decided that was too much upkeep and too difficult to do myself. So I decided that a "dip dye" of just the last few inches of my hair would be a better option. Always talked myself out of that too, though. Until recently.

The end of 2012 was really rough for me, and thus far 2013 hasn't been all that great either. I decided I needed to do something fun for myself. And I knew the very thing to do: go for the dip-dye! It was the perfect thing to do because it would be easy for me to do myself, and it's a "commitment-free" way to go as well. I knew if I ruined it, or decided I hated it, I could just cut my hair and be done with it. Knowing that you have an easy fix for something like this makes diving in and doing it a lot easier! Of course, my hair is currently tailbone length so I have plenty of room to say that. If you have shorter hair you may feel differently.

I headed to Sally's and picked up a Manic Panic bleaching kit (which I will review separately in another post) and, since my funds were (as usual) a little limited, instead of Manic Panic dyes I chose Beyond The Zone Color Jamz. They were about half the cost of the Manic Panic dyes, and they had the colors I wanted. I got three colors: Purple Passion, Party Time Pink, and Huckleberry Blue.



After successfully bleaching the ends of my hair, I applied the dye. I started with pink, then purple, and blue on the very tips. I let the dye process for 20 minutes as suggested on the bottles. This was no good though. After rinsing my hair with cool water, the dye had barely tinted my hair. So I re-applied and let it process for an hour. This was better. The pink had not taken quite as much as I had hoped, but I let it go because I liked how it looked anyway.

Apologies for the blurry photo, I had some trouble getting the camera positioned right. This was just after dying my hair on January 23rd.


Unfortunately the colors did not last long. Within just five days they had faded significantly, and the pink was completely gone. I didn't mind how the purple and blue looked, so I reapplied the pink and this time I let it process for 90 minutes.

After re-doing the pink on January 28th.


The color still did not last long though.

The blue took the best, and I think the blue faded best as well. The pink and purple were a bit "there one day and gone the next" but the blue faded to a light icy blue (which I thought was very very pretty!) that has continued to get lighter with each shampoo. It is probably worth noting, at this point, I only shampoo my hair every other day at most.

This is what my hair looks like at the time of writing this post (which was written in advance): 

As of February 8th - just a hint of pastel color left. Still pretty, but not the look I want right now!


As you can see, over the time span of about two weeks the semi-permanent color faded significantly, with the blue holding on the best of the three colors.

I will be investing in some Manic Panic soon, it should last longer. I've only heard great things about Manic Panic. I cannot give a comparison of the two yet since I've not used Manic Panic before. All I can say at this point is Beyond The Zone Color Jamz are, based on the three colors I have, not very long lasting. I can't speak for any of the other colors they offer of course but as far as these three go, the pink is a total pass, and the blue and purple might be ok if you want something a little more lasting than the dyes that only last till you shampoo but you don't want to commit to them for more than a couple of weeks.

*** Please note that you might have different results from these dyes depending on the condition of your hair when you use them. My hair had never been bleached or chemically treated in any way prior to this, and I almost never heat style my hair. So I was starting off with very healthy, moisturized, "virgin" hair. If your hair has been chemically treated, if you heat style on a regular basis etc. your results with these colors may be different.





comments powered by Disqus