Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review: Julep Nail Polish Remover


What I love: The pump top. I've always loved the pump top nail polish removers though I can't put my finger on why. This remover is acetone free, so you can use it even if you have acrylics or other fake nails on. The fragrance that's left behind once you're done using it is nice; it doesn't just smell like nail polish remover. The fragrance is quite strong though, those who are sensitive to fragrances may not like it because of that. It works very well. I tried it with the "usual" method of removing nail polish as well as with my preferred method, and it works very well either way. It doesn't leave your nails or cuticles feeling dried out. The design of the bottle allows it to be refilled easily.

What I don't like: It leaves an oily residue behind. This is part of why it's "conditioning", but I really don't like the greasy feeling it leaves behind. And, if you're re-painting your nails right away, this oily residue means you've got to wipe your nails clean with a different nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol before you start repainting. Even if you are not painting your nails right away if you are anything like me you will have to wash your hands very well immediately to get rid of the oily residue. It's also expensive. For non-Mavens, it's $14 for a 4oz bottle. If you are a Maven, the price is $11.20. If you're not a Maven but are interested in joining, click here. I don't know if the code still works or not, but it doesn't hurt to try: enter PENNY to get your intro box for just one penny.

Overall: It's a really nice nail polish remover, but I don't think it's worth the price tag. Even the discounted price you get as a Maven is too much, in my opinion. There are plenty of comparable removers on the market that cost just a fraction of what the Julep remover does. I am glad I got mine with the August Maven box, and I also got two extra bottles as add-ons for $5 each (for friends) because there is no way I'd pay the regular price for it. I do really love the pump bottle though, so I'll be refilling it with my preferred remover once my bottle is empty.



comments powered by Disqus