Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Gel Eye Liner


This was among my most recent purchases.

I tend to be a bit eye liner challenged, even after all these years (don't ask exactly how many years though!) of "practice". I've tried every formula out there, and gels are by far my favorite and they're easy to use even for me.

First of all, I have to say that I love the design of this eye liner! It comes with a brush built in to the cap, so should you happen to not already have an eye liner brush in your arsenal, you don't have to invest in one if you decide to try this liner. You may still prefer a different brush, but the point is that you don't HAVE to invest in one if you don't already have one.

The very top portion of the cap pictured above is actually the brush.




You pop the brush out and turn it around, and pop it back into the cap to use it.



I think this results in a brush with an almost perfectly sized handle. The way it curves toward the bottom of the cap could potentially be a little awkward. I wouldn't mind the length being a little bit longer. But overall it's nice. The brush itself is decent though I'd like it better if the bristles were a little shorter and angled rather than rounded. I was still able to create some nice lines with the brush though, so it's not bad at all.






And of course the most important part - the actual liner. The formula is wonderful! It's very creamy. It's a bit more "wet" than other gel eye liners I have used which helps it glide on smoothly. It does stay wet for a while after you apply it, during which time you will want to be careful to avoid smudging it. But once it dries it's less prone to smudge. You will know when it's dry because it goes matte, whereas while it's wet it's shiny. (You can see this in the above picture.) It says that this liner won't budge or smudge all day. I found that if I rubbed at my eyes a little during the day it did smudge a little, mostly on the outer corners. But it still stayed put better than other liners I've used.

It's very well pigmented, a nice true black.

Waterproof? Indeed! I cried while wearing this (I'm a sucker for sappy movies, what can I say?) and it survived. And then I proceeded to do something I almost never do... I fell asleep with my makeup on. When I woke up the next morning, the liner looked almost flawless. It had rubbed off a little on the outer corners, but not much. The rest was still perfect. I took a shower. Still nearly perfect. So I let it go that day too and it lasted a full second day. I did take it off with makeup remover that night before bed.

Oh, did I mention this was all without having used a primer first? Because it was.

Pretty amazing eye liner, in my opinion! It's not quite as smudge proof as you might expect but it's pretty darned close to smudge proof. It is most definitely long wearing and waterproof. Depending on where you shop the price can range from about $6 to $8. (I had a coupon so I got it for $5 at Wal Mart.) For the quality, you really can't beat that price!

comments powered by Disqus