Friday, February 10, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow

 


I saw the display for these shadows a couple weeks ago. I decided to try one of them out. Since I tend to prefer more neutral colors, I opted for the shade Tough as Taupe. 



I really like this shade a lot. This has become one of my favorite go-to products. There have been a lot of days when I have applied a bit of this shadow, some mascara and a touch of lipstick and called it a day. It's a nice taupe (appropriately enough, eh?) with subtle silver shimmer. 

This is the shadow swiped on without blending it out

And to show a comparison this is the shadow without blending and then also showing it blended

(Swatches are over bare skin)

I like the cream formula; it's very smooth and creamy and it blends well. I just apply it with my finger. I've also used an eye liner brush to apply this as a cream eye liner too - works lovely this way. I like to apply a small amount and blend it out for a soft touch of color, but the versatility of being able to not blend it out so much for more color payoff is nice. It layers easily too. 

This is supposed to be a '24 hour' shadow that can last all day without fading or creasing. The first time I used it, to test this out, I just applied it to my bare skin without using primer. Within half an hour there was very noticeable creasing. So the next time I used it (and since then) I applied it over Too Faced Shadow Insurance. The staying power this way is AMAZING. I fell asleep with it on (I know... bad...) and the next morning after a shower it still looked ridiculously good... as in, good enough I decided to leave it for another day of wear. lol  I think if you perhaps just keep your eyes closed a few minutes after applying to give the shadow a chance to set and dry after applying it would probably have pretty amazing staying power even on it's own without using a primer. But nine times out of ten when I do my makeup in the morning I just don't have the time for that. Maybe one day when I am not in such a rush I'll give it a try and update this review if I find that it makes a significant difference in how well this lasts when used on bare skin.

While we're on that, one of the biggest makeup rules is to not sleep with your makeup on. So, given that little fact... what's with the trend of makeup products designed to last 24 hours or even more? Maybe it's just that everyone knows most of us break the "don't sleep with your makeup on" rule anyway so why not make the most of the bad habit?

Anyway back to Color Tattoo. It was a bit pricey (I paid $8 at K Mart) which made me hesitate to get it but I am so glad I did. It's worth every penny - you only need a small amount of product at a time so this little jar of shadow will last ages. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple more colors. Painted Purple, Audacious Asphalt, and Bad to the Bronze are on my wish list for sure.

You can check out the full range of colors on the Maybelline site by clicking here: Color Tattoo Eyeshadow



comments powered by Disqus