Thursday, October 13, 2011

New from Maybelline: Baby Lips Lip Balm

I happened to spot these at the store today, which was no small feat considering they were on the very bottom rack. Not exactly the most eye-catching place to put a new product. I happened to glance downward and saw them at the last second as I was getting ready to walk away, and my curiosity got the best of me.

There are 6 lip balms in this line - four of them are tinted and two are not. Of the two that are not tinted, one is just a plain jane, nothing else to it lip balm. The other is Peppermint flavored. The tinted ones are Grape Vine, Cherry Me, Pink Punch and Peach Kiss. I blissfully ignored the non-tinted ones. I have got loads of non-tinted lip balm already - for me, that's what Pocket Full Of Sunshine is for. (I seriously have like 20 of their lip balms right now. lol)

From left to right: Pink Punch, Peach Kiss, Cherry Me
I passed on Grape Vine. I love purple, but purple lippies, even just in a tinted balm, are not my thing. I know it most likely goes on more pinkish than purple, and it's likely sheer as tinted balms tend to be... but just something about purple lippies I don't like. And I'm not that crazy about grape flavors either anyway.



In the tube, Pink Punch and Cherry Me look more than a little intimidating if you're like me and bold lip colors are not one of your favorite things. However they do apply sheer, so if you're like me there is not really anything to fear about the colors.


In the tube, Pink Punch is a bright Barbie pink shade, pretty much the same color as the tube it's in.



Peach Kiss is a pretty warm honey-peach shade. 




Cherry me is bright, pin-up red.


Here is a swatch to show that they are sheer once applied, though.*

Top to bottom: Cherry Me, Peach Kiss, Pink Punch
And because arm swatches are not typically very helpful when talking about lippies (so why do we all do this all the time? lol) here are some "on the lips" swatches. (This is my bare lips on a pale day though lol. They're usually a good bit more pigmented. Figures I would have a pale day when doing lippie swatches. haha)





They apply as you would expect any lip balm to. They're very light weight and not waxy or sticky at all. They do instantly help your lips to feel hydrated. And that feeling LASTS. I've been wearing Cherry Me for about six hours now and my lips still feel soft and hydrated. (I did re-apply once about two and a half hours ago after eating supper.) They have a light shine to them, just enough that it will look like you just licked your lips. 

These each have a soft (barely noticeable) fragrance and subtle flavoring to match their names.

Overall these are nice lip balms, definitely some of the best I've tried. I love that the tints of color are really *just* tints. I've used some other "tinted" lip balms that deposit enough color you may as well be using lipstick. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Neutrogena...) To me a tinted lip balm should be lightly tinted, so they give you just the softest wash of color and you can swipe it on without using a mirror and know that you don't look like a clown. That's exactly what Baby Lips lip balms deliver.

The best part? They are cheap. These were under $3 a piece. You could easily buy every single one of them if you really wanted to, and it wouldn't cost a small fortune. If you're a fan of tinted lip balms, these are definitely worth checking out! 

* They can be built up for more color if you'd like bolder color from them, so they are a decent "for everyone" kind of product. =)





comments powered by Disqus