Thursday, October 20, 2011

Halloween Tutorial # 5 - Skull


I've got a little series of Halloween themed tutorials for you. Most of them are free-hand designs, which means they're not great but I do the best I can with my limited artistic skills. I had planned to start working on these tutorials sooner, but ended up not getting to it till now. So, I did all of them in one day simply because if I didn't do them all at once I probably would not have gotten all of them done. As such, I only did each design on one nail rather than in a full manicure. I did it this way to both save time and to save my nails and cuticles from having to be subjected to too much nail polish remover in one sitting. I have been having some issues with my camera lately too so I apologize that the pictures are not as clear as they should be.

For this design I have started with a black creme polish with glittered tips. The, wherever you want the bottom of the skull to be, use white nail art polish to draw a straight line. Make this as long as you want the base of the skull to be.




Next make two curved lines on either side of your base line, extending upward.




Now make a half circle to connect those two lines to finish your skull outline. Then fill it in.





Now use black nail art polish to make two large dots for the "eyes". Also make a rounded triangle shape for the "nose".


Now make a mouth. This is where someone with a steadier hand for detail will be able to do a better job than I did lol. I started by making a slightly curved line, then added another one below it and made lines for teeth. If you've got a better method of making a mouth for this skull, do it instead lol.



Let it dry enough that applying top coat won't cause smudges or smears.

comments powered by Disqus