Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Halloween Tutorial # 4 - Pumpkin


I've got a little series of Halloween themed tutorials for you. Most of them are free-hand designs, which means they're not great but I do the best I can with my limited artistic skills. I had planned to start working on these tutorials sooner, but ended up not getting to it till now. So, I did all of them in one day simply because if I didn't do them all at once I probably would not have gotten all of them done. As such, I only did each design on one nail rather than in a full manicure. I did it this way to both save time and to save my nails and cuticles from having to be subjected to too much nail polish remover in one sitting. I have been having some issues with my camera lately too so I apologize that the pictures are not as clear as they should be.

I have started this design with a basic white creme polish.




Using an orange nail art polish, make the outline of your pumpkin shape. Remember that pumpkins come in varying shapes and sizes so you can make yours more rounded, as I have here, or it can be wider, thinner, whatever you like. Fill it in with the orange nail art polish.

*Tip* - Use red instead of orange to make apples.







Use a green nail art polish to make a stem on the top of your pumpkin.





Next I mixed some of my orange nail art polish with a tiny drop of black polish to make a slightly darker shade of orange. Really go easy on this because the tiniest bit of black polish will go a long way here. Then I used this darker color to make some curved, vertical stripes on the pumpkin. You could skip this if you really wanted to, it is just to add a little dimension to the design so it's not as "flat". I will show you from two different angles so you can get a better idea of the finished effect this has on it.





Now, if all you wanted was a pumpkin you are done. But if you want to turn your pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern, just use some yellow nail art polish to add eyes, nose and a mouth. Since jack-o-lanterns are carved in so many different ways you can do this with whatever shapes and patterns you like.



comments powered by Disqus