Thursday, August 12, 2010

Review: Beauty Secrets Moisturizing Base Coat

I've always been curious about the cute bottles of Beauty Secrets base coats. I don't know why, but I find the bottles to be appealing. So I finally had to give one of them a try. I opted for the moisturizing formula... yes, mostly because it's pink. Bear in mind that I bought this product several months ago and have used it numerous times since then. 

Beauty Secrets Moisturizing Base Coat - Available at Sally Beauty Supply for $2.99 or $2.79 with a Beauty Club Card. (Note this price is for the small, 14.7 ml / 0.5 fl oz. bottle, not the larger bottles that are also available.)

This is a product that I want so badly to love... but I hate it. It doesn't seem to matter what I do when I use this base coat, it always ends with me getting fed up, removing everything and starting over with a different base coat.

I have tried applying my polish when the base coat is still a little tacky, I've waited till it's completely dry - doesn't make a difference. Whenever I use this base coat my nail polish application is horrendous and nothing but streaks. I have major, major issues with the polish dragging. It is nothing short of a nail polish disaster.

At first I thought that maybe it was just me, maybe I wasn't applying the polish quickly enough or something. But no, it's definitely the base coat. If I apply the Beauty Secrets on one nail and a different base coat on another nail, give them the same amount of time to dry and apply the same nail polish - the nail with the Beauty Secrets base coat is a streaky, disgusting mess but the other nail with a different base coat will apply without issue. I've done this little test with numerous nail polishes from various brands, and with base coats from Finger Paints, Color Club and Sally Hansen. The only one that consistently yields undesirable results is the Beauty Secrets. 

The ONLY way I can use this base coat is for the utmost natural manicure - base coat and then top coat, no color. And I don't do that. Ever. Either I am wearing color or I'm going totally au natural with my nails and leaving them totally bare.

I give this product 1 of 5 stars, and do NOT recommend it. 


comments powered by Disqus