Sunday, June 13, 2010

Review: Gillette Venus Embrace

I got this razor a while back as part of the Venus Bikini Kit. (If you missed my review of the Venus Bikini Trimmer and would like to see it, click here.)

I tried to use the Embrace razor exclusively for a nice duration of time to give a fair and honest review. But - honestly - it's been hard to do. I can't help it... I'm a Venus Breeze girl all the way and trying to go without the Breeze is just impossible. But I did make sure to use just the Embrace razor for a full week, and I've used it a couple random times since then as well. And here's what I think about it.

The Embrace razor is in the middle of this photo:


This razor has the usual Venus style handle that you can expect from Gillette. It's pretty, it's curvy, it has nice grips to prevent it slipping from your hands while in the shower. 

The head of the razor is larger than you'll find on most other razors. This doesn't prove to cause any issues while shaving legs and underarms, however it can make getting into other areas in the general bikini area a little more tricky.


The head of the razor is also thicker than that of other razors, and it has a slight curve to it which seems to help the blades to fit snugly in the curves and contours of the body. (Again, except for in smaller areas.)



The overall appearance of this razor is nice enough. However the blades seemed to dull much faster than other razors I've used. After the first two uses I could tell they were already getting dull. If this were a disposable razor that would be acceptable, however it's not disposable so I expect the blades to stay sharper longer than that. 

A couple times I shaved one leg with the Embrace razor and the other leg with my trusty Breeze. There was no noticeable difference in how smooth my legs were after shaving, nor was there any difference in how quickly I felt the need to shave again. 

The Embrace is a nice razor, and I'm sure there are a lot of women who would really enjoy using it. But it's just not for me. I just don't like the hassle of shaving gel/cream - hence I much prefer my Venus Breeze. 

The Venus Embrace gets 3.5 stars from me (would be more had the blades stayed sharp longer) and I would recommend it to those who like traditional shaving (with shave gel/cream) and who perhaps have a little more money to spend on replacing the blades very frequently. Otherwise, you could pass on this one as there are similar razors out there (both within the Gillette family of razors and from other brands as well) that will yield the same results but with blades that last longer and some of them even have lower price tags.



comments powered by Disqus