Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Review - Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat

I feel like I've been using this product long enough now that I can give it a fair review.

I'd heard a lot of great things about this top coat for probably a year or longer before I finally decided I'd try it out for myself. Has it lived up to the hype in my experience? Yes and no. Let me explain.

Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat is a typical top coat boasted to help prevent chipping and extend the life of your manicure, but more than that it's also proclaimed to be among the very best in products that will help your nail polish dry faster. I've been on numerous makeup forums where many ladies have raved about this top coat doing all those things, and it being a miracle and capable of drying even several coats of nail polish in 5 minutes tops.

I don't think I'd go so far as to make such a claim as that - there are too many variables to consider. How many coats of polish were applied, how thick or thin were the coats, how much time did each coat have to dry before the next was applied, is it humid today or not... all these things affect how your nail polish will dry with or without any 'quick dry' top coat.

Based on my personal experiences with the Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat:

It does NOT do a good job of preventing chips and helping a manicure last longer. I've had my polish chip the same day I painted my nails - within hours even - when the Seche is my only top coat. It is FAR from being on my list of favorites for helping nail polish to last longer.

It DOES help to speed up polish dry-time significantly, to a point. If you've applied several coats of color or thick coats of color, you will still have to spend a fair amount of time waiting for your nails to be completely dry before you can get on with your day. Especially if it's humid. I know what you might be thinking - what does humidity have to do with how long it's going to take for my nails to dry? But think about it - if you are painting any room in your house or something outside your house (like the porch for example) you always try to get the job done on a dry (ie. NOT humid) day because..... all the moisture in the air on a humid day means that the paint is going to take a long time to dry. Well it's the SAME thing with nail polish. Don't believe me? Test it some time. Pay attention to the humidity when you paint your nails, and pay attention to how long it takes your polish to dry. It'll dry faster on dry days than humid days.

Anyway, the Seche will make your polish - even several coats (or thick coats) - dry "to the touch" in about 60 to 90 seconds. What this means is that if you ever so slightly touch your nails with your fingers they will not smudge. But they're still wet. Depending on the numerous variables involved in painting your nails, your nails can be completely dry in about 5 minutes (say for just one thin coat of color) or about 15 minutes (for more/thicker coats of color) - but honestly, I still give my nails at least 20-30 minutes to dry before I get on with my day, just to be on the safe side.

Overall, I'd give the Seche 3.5 stars out of five - it's great for helping polish to dry more quickly but not so great in helping your nail polish last and preventing chips. Is it worth trying? Definitely. Is it a "can't live without it" product? Could be. There are other comprable products on the market to try that may be better or about equal to it. And, Seche is a bit on the expensive side. There are other more affordable options out there as well.


comments powered by Disqus